The Lisnabreeny American Military Cemetery, which has recently been restored, was used as a burial ground for 148 US personnel between 1943 and 1948.
Following the end of the war the deceased were exhumed and, either repatriated to the United States at the request of their families, or transferred to the permanent war cemetery in Cambridge.
At that point the cemetery was deactivated, leaving the famous red brick gateway on the Rocky Road as the only reminder of its existence.
A dedicated monument has been erected at the site to give the public the opportunity to visit and learn about the servicemen who lost their lives during the conflict.
On Saturday the official dedication of a specially commissioned monument took place at the site.
At the ceremony, Mayor of Castlereagh, Councillor David Drysdale said: "Over the last few years, the council has been involved in an extensive restoration project to reinstate the original entrance to the former cemetery and to create a lasting commemoration to the American servicemen who lost their lives in the Second World War."
The Acting American Consul General, Gabrielle Moseley added: "We are very grateful to Castlereagh Borough Council for acknowledging the legacy of US military personnel who paid the ultimate sacrifice in the allied war effort.
"The recent restoration of the cemetery underpins our shared history and special ties of kinship, and we appreciate those involved in today's ceremony."
A spectacular fly past from the World War Two era B-17 Bomber, the 'Sally B' brought the proceedings to a climax.