Published Thursday, 13 December 2012
Conall McDevitt said he has received a death threat. (© Pacemaker)
Mr McDevitt said on Thursday the warning was posted to him and the police are investigating.
"This will not deter me from representing the people of South Belfast and working for an inclusive, peaceful and prosperous society," he said.
SDLP leader Alasdair McDonnell said: "This is a cowardly, cynical act by those determined to drag our society back into the shadows of the past, but they should be aware that we will not be intimidated and they will not prevail.
"The whole of the SDLP stands in solidarity with Conall."
Meanwhile Co Armagh, the office of DUP Assembly member William Irwin in Richhill has been attacked, with windows smashed and paint daubed on the property.
"Whilst this incident does not compare to some of the other disgraceful attacks and threats on elected representatives, it is an attack on the democratic process nonetheless," said Mr Irwin.
"Attacking democratic facilities and services is mindless and completely pointless when such facilities are in place to serve our communities' needs."
A threat has also been made to DUP councilor for Belfast, Guy Spence.
Mr Spence, who is one of the youngest elected Northern Ireland representatives, said he would not be deterred.
"I was proud to stand alongside every one of my Party colleagues in City Hall and indeed every unionist Councillor in support of the retention of the Union flag remaining 365 days per year," he said.
"I would also hope that there will be a successful outcome to the proposal put forward by my party that our national flag will fly every day beside the Cenotaph in City Hall grounds."
DUP MLA William Humphreys said the threats on public representatives "reinforce the need to demonstrate that politics is the only way forward".
He said the decision to reduce the number of flag flying days had led to "one of the worst breakdowns in community relations in recent years".
But he added the party would "continue to show leadership" on the issue.
Alliance Leader David Ford MLA has expressed "outrage" at the latest intimidation after his colleague east Belfast MP Naomi Long and senior DUP members Jeffrey Donaldson and Edwin Poots have also been targeted.
"I am outraged that yet another elected representative has been issued with a threat by cowardly individuals. It is completely unacceptable that Conall along with other politicians have had been given death threats," he said.
"Issuing death threats against elected representatives is an attack on democracy. The threats, intimidation and attacks that we have seen against members of my party as well as those of the DUP, SDLP and Sinn Fein must stop now."
On Wednesday it was revealed that a man had been charged with making threats to kill First Minister Peter Robinson.
The 34-year-old man appeared at Newtownards Magistrates' Court on Thursday.