While the reasons for opposing the Parades Commission's ruling vary, the DUP and Sinn Féin and the Greater Ardoyne Residents' Collective and the North and West Belfast Parades Forum all insist the decision is wrong.
In line with restrictions placed on the Orange Order, the lodges affected are expected to finish the return leg of their parade by 4pm on Thursday - 15mins before other bands and lodges are due to even leave the field.
"This decision is highly irresponsible and totally unworkable, as far as we're concerned," Winston Irvine from the North and West Belfast Parades Forum told UTV.
"It goes against the grain of everything we've been trying to do."
Unfortunately, the Parades Commission has made the situation worse instead of better.
Gerry Kelly, Sinn Féin
But the residents don't want the parade to go ahead at all and are equally unhappy with the ruling.
"We're constantly being told about the right of Orangemen to march because it's a shared space," Dee Fennell from GARC said.
"Well, if it's a shared space, what's the problem with people marching within their own community to demand an end to sectarian marches and the right to equality?"
But Sinn Féin MLA for the area Gerry Kelly told UTV that the decision to hold a protest parade was "a mistake".
He added: "This was not about nationalists marching on this road - nationalists in Ardoyne and Mountainview and the Dales can march 365 days a year if they want to do it. They don't want to do it.
"What we wanted to do was take the tension out of this."
According to Mr Kelly, the Orange Order should have been rerouted in the afternoon instead of the parade just being held earlier.
With both the unionist community and even Sinn Féin having criticised the ruling, this Commission has handed a political victory to dissident republicans.
Peter Robinson, DUP
Meanwhile, First Minister and DUP leader Peter Robinson branded recent decisions by the Parades Commission regarding Ardoyne and Crumlin "bizarre" and said they fed into "the mind-set of division".
He added: "The DUP has long argued that the Commission is part of the problem rather than the solution to parades. That is why we proposed an alternative framework to dealing with the issue.
"Events have proved we were right to do so."
Former UDA leader Jackie McDonald said on Monday that the Orangemen should consider foregoing the return parade in Ardoyne, but the North and West Belfast Parades Forum is appealing the Commission's ruling and considering legal action.
However, the Chairman of the Parades Commission Peter Osborne stressed that there had been real improvement in the atmosphere surrounding parades and he hoped that a peaceful summer would encourage further progress.
"As we approach the 12th July, I hope that those involved in, or affected by, parades will recognise the real progress that has been made, and ensure that nothing will negatively impact upon this," he said.
He said that the number of sensitive parades is decreasing and the Commission wants that trend to continue.
"I believe there is a general mood to move on from conflict related to parades and protests. It is time to put such conflict behind us.
"We have, along with many others, made genuine attempts to help with this. A peaceful 12th period will make further win/win progress possible."
He said that in instances where organisations have been unable to reach local agreement over parades, the Commission has reluctantly fulfilled its legal obligation to take a decision.
Mr Osborne concluded: "All leaders - political, community, parading and clergy - who want to assist with future efforts to seek resolution to these most challenging of issues should be mindful of their responsibilities and the influence for good they can have within their local community to ensure a peaceful day."