Police clarify position on Kingsmills

Published Wednesday, 29 June 2011
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

Police have clarified that there are no plans for a review into the Kingsmills massacre to see if charges could be brought against those involved in the murders.

It had been previously indicated that such a move would be taken, in the wake of a report into the case published last week.

Relatives of those killed met on Wednesday to discuss how to progress their pursuit of justice. They have already demanded a public inquiry following the Historical Enquiries Team report into the atrocity.

The report found the IRA, who claimed to be on ceasefire at the time, was behind what was one of the worst atrocities of the Troubles - under the cover name of the South Armagh Republican Action Force.

The men were shot dead on their way home from work in the south Armagh village after being ambushed by 11 gunmen on 5 January 1976.

They were forced at gunpoint to reveal their religion. They were lined up, flasks and lunchboxes still in their hands, and shot dead. One man hit 18 times survived.

The report found the weapons used by the gunmen could be linked to up to 100 other killings, included the murders of RUC Chief Superintendent Harold Breen and Superintendent Raymond Buchanan in South Armagh in 1989.

The families of those murdered at Kingsmills feel they are still a long way from justice. Jean Lemmon's husband Joseph was one of those killed.

"I miss my husband, he was the best man going," she said.

"I want to see them (those responsible) put in jail, because I lost a good man, my two girls lost a good father."

The report found the Kingsmills massacre was a "direct response" to the shootings of three members of the Reavey family in Whitecross days earlier.

Eugene Reavey lost his three brothers in the UVF shooting in January 1976. After the attack, his father called for no retaliation.

"Unfortunately it fell on deaf ears, he said if his sons by their deaths saved any others, they would not have died in vain, but unfortunately no one was listening," Mr Reavey said.

"Whether there was a plan or not, the murder of my brothers was a catalyst to the murders of these people at Kingsmills.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
4 Comments
Billy in Lisburn wrote (1,214 days ago):
No justice for PIRA victims!
Niall in Armagh wrote (1,214 days ago):
I want to hear all the loyalists who say they only investigate past loyalist attrocities say something to the like of this story, everytime a story like this comes up they go silent until one comes up about loyalist violence past then they moan that they never investigate republicans
steve in belfast wrote (1,214 days ago):
Why does this massacre have to be in the limelight again before the PSNI decide to see if they can bring cases against those who carried it out ?
Andy in Lurgan wrote (1,214 days ago):
Arrest them, charge them and let them out again in 2 years under the GFA, this country is an embarrassment and these men who died deserve better.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Lynda Bellingham: 1948-2014
Mon 20 October 2014
Ryder Cup 2014 - Day One
Fri 26 September 2014
The X Factor: Judges
Fri 03 October 2014