Published Sunday, 20 October 2013
Twenty-six people were shot in the Bogside on Bloody Sunday, 30 January 1972. (© Pacemaker)
On 30 January 1972, British troops opened fire on a civil rights march through the Bogside area of Derry, killing 13 people.
At the end of last year the police said they would be opening a murder investigation into the killings.
The move followed on from the 12-year, £200m Saville Report.
It found that there was no justification for the shootings and, subsequently, Prime Minister David Cameron apologised for the killings.
The Sunday Times has reported that the PSNI are to begin arresting and questioning the soldiers involved in the incident.
It claimed the Ministry of Defence has hired lawyers to handle the cases of those soldiers involved.
A police spokesman said: "Preliminary work has begun into what will be a lengthy and complex investigation into the events of 30 January 1972.
"For the investigation to be as comprehensive and effective as possible, police will be asking for public support in the form of witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry now making statements to detectives.
"This is because police are precluded from using Saville testimony in a criminal investigation."
East Londonderry DUP MP Gregory Campbell said: "If soldiers are to be arrested, this could prove disastrous in how our society deals with the past.
"For many years those at the helm of the IRA have either denied being in the organisation or will not talk about any events that happened when they were.
"This has resulted in no action by police or prosecution service against them.
"If it transpires that troops, who were in the Bogside because of the actions of the IRA who had murdered more than 100 people before Bloody Sunday and had caused massive destruction and unrest also, this would demonstrate the perversity at the heart of dealing with the past."
© UTV News