PSNI reveal north Belfast riot suspects

Published Thursday, 20 December 2012
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

Police have revealed pictures of men they want to speak to following three nights of rioting in north Belfast earlier this year.

PSNI reveal north Belfast riot suspects
An injured police officer is tended to by a colleague at Carlisle Circus. (© Pacemaker)

More than 60 PSNI officers were injured when serious disorder sparked in the Carlisle Circus area of the city, between Sunday 2 and Tuesday 4 September.

They were pelted with stones, bricks and other missiles during violence which broke out following a republican parade.

The images have been released by police investigating the attacks in the Denmark Street area.

The final image is a man that Detective Chief Inspector Alan Little said he would like to speak to in connection with an assault on a police officer in August.

"There are people out there who will know the identity of the 11 people who I am looking to speak to. I am confident that the community will come forward with that information," said DCI Little.

"I can only repeat the message that anyone who does become involved in disorder be it in north Belfast, or indeed anywhere in Northern Ireland, faces the very real risk of being arrested, getting a criminal conviction and having to deal with the long term consequences of their behaviour."

A loyalist crowd gathered in the area to protest at a march organised by the Henry Joy McCracken Republican Flute Band.

The previous week, a Royal Black Institution band marched past St Patrick's Church in the nearby Donegall Street.

Restrictions had been imposed by the Parades Commission after a loyalist band allegedly played a sectarian song outside the same church on the Twelfth of July.

Police revealed 47 people have so far been arrested in connection with the disorder, 37 people - including 14 under the age of 18 - have been charged. Nine have been bailed and one has been released pending a report to the Public Prosecution Service.

"Whilst a number of arrests were made during the disorder, a robust investigative strategy was implemented which has seen more people arrested in the weeks and months that followed," added DCI Little.

"It is in everybody's interest - as well as in the interest of justice - that those responsible are dealt with appropriately."

Since the images were released, a 19 -year-old male youth has been arrested in the Newtownabbey area.

He was detained on suspicion of riotous behaviour and possession of an offensive weapon during public disorder in the Denmark Street area on 2 September.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
0 Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Larne
Mon 31 March 2014
Fatal shooting in west Belfast
Sat 19 April 2014
Carrick disturbances
Fri 11 April 2014