Orange Ardoyne march decision deferred

Orange Ardoyne march decision deferred

The Parades Commission has deferred its decision on an application from the Orange Order to march past a contentious north Belfast flash point to allow further talks to take place over the weekend.

In July, the three Ligoniel lodges concerned were refused permission to march past the Ardoyne shop fronts as part of their return parade for the annual Twelfth marches.Since that decision members of the Orange Order and its supporters have held a permanent protest at Twaddell Avenue over the decision.They have also held weekly parades and nightly demonstrations in the area, which has required a police presence.Discussions between residents' groups, politicians, the Orange Order and church leaders have been ongoing in order to try and facilitate a resolution.Earlier this week, UTV revealed the Order had again applied to march the contentious route on Saturday, 7 June between 9am and 10am.The Order said the parade was the "best opportunity" to resolve the issue.The Parades Commission was set to decide on the application on Thursday, however, it has deferred the matter to next week to allow for the talks to continue over the weekend.A spokesman said: "The commission has been made aware of an initiative involving church leaders to facilitate local discussions this weekend."As the commission believes that local accommodation is the best way to resolve sensitive parading issues, it has agreed to convene next Tuesday, 3 June to consider any further representations."


Elsewhere on the Web

More Top Stories

UTV Digest

Your daily digest of the most popular UTV Stories

Back to Top