Mum-of-six died after drink and drugs binge

Mum-of-six died after drink and drugs binge

The cause of death of a mother of six, who died following a three day drinking binge, was her intake of alcohol mixing with four drugs in her body, the Coroner's Court in Derry has been told.

Margaret McIntyre, 41, who was also a grandmother of two, was found by ambulance personnel lying on the kitchen floor of her Florence Street home in the Rosemount area of the city on 8 January.CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)Coroner Mr John Leckey told members of the deceased's family that at the time of her death, Mrs McIntyre had almost two and a half times the legal alcohol limit for driving in her blood.But he added that when the alcohol combined with the drugs diazepam, codeine, citalopram and diphenhydramine which she had also consumed, it caused a depression on the part of the brain controlling her breathing.He said her breathing slowly stopped causing her death.CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)Mr Leckey said none of the substances by themselves caused Mrs McIntyre's death, rather is was a combination of the substances. He said the deceased's doctor had, in a letter, described her as having an alcohol dependent syndrome.CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)The Coroner said one of Mrs McIntyre's problems was her lifestyle.He said a post-mortem examination found no evidence to suggest violence at the time of her death and he returned a finding of death by a combination of drugs and alcoholic poisoning.


Elsewhere on the Web

More Top Stories

UTV Digest

Your daily digest of the most popular UTV Stories

Back to Top