Miracle Belfast baby defies the odds

Miracle Belfast baby defies the odds

A young Belfast mother says it's a miracle her son is alive after she was told by doctors she was not expecting and underwent surgery, only for medics to later discover a baby.

In May last year Leanne Storey was told she was expecting twins.However, just a month later, during a scan at the Royal Victoria Hospital's early pregnancy unit, she was told no baby had formed while the placenta was continuing to develop, a condition known as a molar pregnancy.The Poleglass woman explained: "A doctor confirmed he was 99% sure that it was a molar pregnancy."I said what about the other 1%? What if it isn't a molar pregnancy?"But he said that even if it was not a molar pregnancy, there was no baby."The 27-year-old underwent surgery to remove the tissue from her womb.After it was carried out, Leanne felt unwell and was given another scan.It was then doctors made the remarkable discovery that she was expecting.She added: "There was something there they were not expecting."Then the doctor started to point out that there was the baby and then there was the heartbeat."I don't know how to describe it. It was impossible."Because I had been through the surgery, I just didn't think it was possible, it was like a dream."Now the new mum treasures every moment she has with precious four-month-old Shea.She added: "He is a miracle, he is just brilliant and I could not believe I had a baby whenever I first held him in my arms."In a statement, the Belfast Trust responded, it said: "We are very sorry if Ms Storey has felt let down in any way by the Belfast Trust."We fully understand that she may have concerns or further questions and that a legal process has begun, therefore it would be inappropriate to discuss in detail this particular issue."


Elsewhere on the Web

More Top Stories

UTV Digest

Your daily digest of the most popular UTV Stories

Back to Top

From Monday 6th June the UTV news service will be moving to ITV.com.

To keep up to date with all the latest stories from UTV:

- go to the ITV News website at itv.com/utv

- download the ITV News app on iOS

- download the ITV News app on Android

For more information please go to our FAQs page