The SDLP put forward a motion of no confidence - backed by Sinn Féin - calling for the exclusion of Social Development Minister Nelson McCausland, after claiming the DUP politician had failed to condemn loyalist bands which breached Parades Commission rulings in north Belfast last month.
The motion failed in the Northern Ireland Assembly on Monday.
It was supported by the Alliance Party and Greens, but the Ulster Unionists and DUP voted against it - however one Independent unionist, David McClarty, voted in favour.
Mr Robinson questioned why the motion had been brought and said it had only raised tensions ahead of Saturday's parade.
He said: "Why do they bring it, what was the purpose?
"There is only one purpose, a purpose upon which the SDLP and Sinn Féin are united and that's to raise tensions in the preliminary stages of a march that will take place this weekend, no other purpose. They have been doing it outside this chamber that's why I know that this is part of that same proposition."
But SDLP leader Alasdair McDonnell rejected these claims.
Dr McDonnell said: "The tone of today's debate was abusive and offensive.
"Basically the DUP were attempting to intimidate the rest of us to ensure we don't hold them to account. We have got to hold them to account."
The issue was raised after the Young Conway Volunteers marched past St Patrick's Church on Donegall Street during a Royal Black Institution parade in August.
They had been banned from doing so by the Parades Commission, after footage emerged of the band playing contentious tunes outside the Catholic Church on 12 July.
Other bands, which had been told they should only play a single drumbeat, also defied the determinations - violent scenes ensued as protestors clashed.
Raymond McCartney of Sinn Féin said: "The minister failed to show good and effective leadership on July the 12th when the YCV band danced a merry ring around St Patrick's chapel - and he described that as normal behaviour."
Mr McCausland, who denies the claims, said the motion should never have been brought before the Assembly floor.
He said: "Today's debate is just an unnecessary distraction from the real issues."
Meanwhile, as the Ulster Covenant centenary parade on Saturday approaches, the Orange Order said there has been "much dishonest and misleading information" regarding it.
A statement read: "The only leg of the parade that will be passing St Patrick's Chapel will be the Grand Lodge officers, their guests and the five districts attached to Belfast Orange Hall, Clifton Street, accompanied by 14 bands.
"The entire parade will not be passing St Patrick's."
Following talks between parishioners at the church and Orange leaders, it emerged that they will only play hymns as they pass the building.
However there were calls for the institution to meet Carrickhill residents face to face.
The Orange Order continued: "The Grand Lodge made no pre-conditions regarding who would be present during these conversations nor the numbers involved. We appreciated Fr Sheehan's openness and frankness during our conversations and he advised that the Chair of Carrick Hill Residents Group had been invited twice to attend, but refused.
"All present agreed that the conversations were worthwhile and meaningful. The issue of what respect looked like was widely discussed. There was a broad consensus that silence or a single drum beat added a menacing tension to parades.
"Fr Sheehan helpfully stated that he would openly welcome the playing of hymns as bands passed the chapel, if that was to be our decision. He added that this would be his position no matter what others called for."
A final determination is due to be made by the Parades Commission.