Man remanded on Omagh bomb charges

Published Friday, 11 April 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

High-profile republican Seamus Daly has appeared in court charged with the murders of 29 people who were killed in the 1998 Omagh bomb.

Man remanded on Omagh bomb charges
Seamus Daly arriving at court on Friday. (© Pacemaker)

He was remanded into custody following his appearance in the dock at Dungannon Magistrates' Court on Friday morning, amid a heavy security presence.

Daly was detained in the Newry area on Monday as he accompanied his wife to a maternity hospital.

After being granted extra questioning time, officers from PSNI's Serious Crime Branch charged the 43-year-old with 33 offences including 29 murder charges on Thursday evening.

He was also charged with two charges linked to the explosion in Omagh and two offences relating to an attempted explosion in Lisburn earlier in the same year.

A detective told the court that the case against Daly, who has a previous conviction for IRA membership, was based on phone, forensic and witness evidence.

He said the accused responded "no comment" to every question asked during interviews but had given a pre-prepared statement to police denying all the counts.

But the accused's lawyer, Dermot Fee, claimed there were "significant weaknesses" in the prosecution case.

"There is nothing new and nothing fresh that hasn't been available for a long number of years," he said.

With his family now based in Jonesborough and his wife expected to give birth to their second child - the due date being on Friday - Mr Fee insisted that his client would not consider fleeing.

He said he also wanted to contest the case against him.

"Why would he flee in circumstances such as this?" he asked.

But Judge Conway said he was concerned that Daly could potentially go to the Republic of Ireland and refused bail.

Michael Gallagher, whose son Aiden died in the bombing, was among those who watched proceedings from a packed public gallery.

Dressed in jeans and a dark grey hooded top, Daly, who is from Cullaville, but now residing in Jonesborough, Co Armagh, did not speak during the half-hour hearing.

He is due to appear in court again on 6 May.

Daly had been found liable for the Omagh bombing in a landmark civil ruling in 2009.

He has always denied any involvement in the attack.

Twenty-nine people, including a woman pregnant with twins, died when a Real IRA car bomb exploded among shoppers on a busy Saturday afternoon in the Co Tyrone town on 15 August 1998.

It was the single bloodiest terrorist attack in the history of the Northern Ireland Troubles and came only months after the signing of the historic Good Friday Agreement.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
6 Comments
belfast i in blfast wrote (225 days ago):
larne in larne, you need a thing called evidence before you can arrest anyone.
lorna in limavady wrote (225 days ago):
We have to admire the families of the Omagh bomb victims. their constant push for justice. a reminder to us a not to give in until justice is served.
l in newtownabbey wrote (225 days ago):
Some justice for the poor familys about time
Donegal in Donegal wrote (226 days ago):
Yeah justice for the 29 and 2 unborn twins.
conor kelly in west limerick wrote (226 days ago):
more trumped up charges psni absolute joke
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Flash flooding
Thu 13 November 2014
I
Wed 12 November 2014
The X Factor Live: Week 4
Sat 01 November 2014