Man jailed over terrorist activity

Published Friday, 06 December 2013
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

A 44-year old father-of-six from west Belfast has been jailed for a year and nine months after admitting to five counts of possessing information likely to be of use to terrorists.

Man jailed over terrorist activity
McDonnell was jailed at Belfast Crown Court on Friday. (© UTV)

Belfast Crown Court heard the information included the car registration numbers of serving police officers and a prison officer, and a memory card containing an image of the contents of a soldier's wallet.

Also found were details regarding a serving harbour policeman as well information on houses and their occupants of properties opposite the home of the harbour policeman.

Anthony John McDonnell, from Ardmonagh Gardens in the Ballymurphy area, pleaded guilty to five counts of possessing the information.

As well as serving a prison sentence, McDonnell will spend a further year and nine months on licence upon his release.

The court heard McDonnell was arrested following police searches at two properties in Belfast - at Avoca Court and Ardmonagh Gardens - on 11 December last year.

Further searches were carried out on a Peugeot car the following day.

Discovered in the searches were details and information likely to be of use to terrorists.

An earlier court hearing was told that during the search at Avoca Court, a locked briefcase which contained almost £25,000 in cash was discovered, along with a small amount of cocaine.

The money and drugs were claimed by McDonnell's 22-year-old daughter Fionnula Arlene McDonnell, also of Ardmonagh Gardens.

At the hearing, she pleaded guilty to possessing the money recovered, knowing or suspecting it represented the proceeds of criminal conduct.

She was given a 12 month prison sentence, suspended for two years, for this offence and was also fined £100 for possession of a Class A drug.

Addressing McDonnell as he stood in the dock, Belfast Recorder Judge David McFarland said the evidence against him was "compelling" but accepted "no people were injured as a result of this information."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
0 Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Larne
Mon 31 March 2014
Fatal shooting in west Belfast
Sat 19 April 2014
Carrick disturbances
Fri 11 April 2014