Published Saturday, 07 June 2014
The man was arrested following the incident. (© UTV)
Although 33-year-old John Robert William Long was granted bail at Belfast Magistrates' Court on Saturday, he will not be set free until police approve any proposed address.
Long, from Shore Crescent in the north of the city, is charged with the attempted murder of Gary Vokes on 5 June this year.
Detective Constable McPhee told the court he believed he could connect him to the charge.
The 28-year-old victim remains in a critical condition in hospital after he was attacked in the Shore Crescent area, off the Shore Road, on Thursday evening.
It is understood the incident happened at a block of flats where Mr Vokes and Long's partner reside separately.
Solicitor Mark Campbell said bail conditions for Long's release had been agreed with police.
Releasing him on his own bail of £500, District Judge Amanda Henderson said he would be freed once he found an address which was agreeable.
Once released however, Long must stay out of north Belfast, observe a curfew from 11pm to 6am, report to police three times per week and not to have any contact with any witnesses except for his partner.
Judge Henderson relisted the case for 27 June.
© UTV News