Published Thursday, 03 October 2013
Philip Convery had to undergo emergency surgery after he was attacked last year. (© Country Photography)
Michael Mongan, a scrap dealer from White Rise in the Dunmurry area of Belfast, was convicted of all eight charges linked to the attack on the family in their Mayogall Road home on 9 June last year.
Following a ten-day trial and after just over three hours of deliberations, the jury of seven women and five men at Derry Crown Court found Mongan guilty of all the charges by 10-2 majority verdicts.
Mongan, who had previous convictions for assaults and burglaries, had denied forcing his way into the family home and assaulting Teresa Convery, 70, her 16-year-old grandson Philip Convery and her son Martin Convery, 45, a bank manager, with an iron bar.
He had also denied attempting to steal £10,000 from the Convery family after he had forced his way into the family home with another man who wore a balaclava and who was armed with a handgun. He further denied committing driving offences on the same day.
During the trial the jurors were told by Philip Convery that he had to emergency surgery in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast to remove a blood clot from his brain after he had been struck several times on the head by Mongan who used an iron bar.
Philip, who was studying for his GCSE maths examination on the night of the attack, also managed to grab the handgun from the masked armed intruder. He said he pointed the weapon at his attacker and pulled the trigger but the weapon did not discharge.
The jury was told that there was no forensic evidence to link the defendant to either the Convery family home or to a Vauxhall Vectra car which was used by the intruders as a getaway vehicle. He was picked out of a police identity line-up after his arrest by both Teresa and Philip Convery, but Michael Convery identified another man in the line-up as his attacker.
Both the prosecution and defence barristers told the jurors that what happened at the family home was not in dispute. They said the prosecution case was simply one of identity.
Mongan was arrested three days after the assaults when he got off the Stranraer to Belfast ferry after he said he had attended a travellers' gathering in Appleby near Carlisle.
During his tape recorded interview with police officers, which was played to the jury, Mongan repeatedly denied any involvement in the incident.
He told the officers: "You listen to me for a minute because I'm here for nothing. I did nothing wrong, I don't even know what you're on about".
Mongan denied being at the scene or being involved in the crimes.
Following his convictions Mongan showed no emotions as he stood in the dock between two prison officers.
Trial Judge Philip Babington said he would sentence Mongan on 8 November following the preparation of pre-sentence, psychiatric and victim impact reports.
Meanwhile Mongan was remanded in continuing custody until the sentencing.
© UTV News