Man in court over murder attempt

Published Monday, 21 July 2014
Toggle font size

A family night out at the weekend ended with a man being stabbed three times in the back, the Magistrate's Court in Derry has been told.

Man in court over murder attempt
O'Rourke appeared in court on Monday. (© UTV)

The disclosure was made when John Paul O'Rourke, 44 and from Canterbury Park in the Waterside area of the city, appeared in custody charged with attempting to murder the 43-year-old victim with a kitchen knife in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The defendant is also charged with possessing the kitchen knife and possessing a second kitchen knife with intent to commit attempted murder.

He's further charged with threatening to kill another man, with kicking the stabbing victim in the head and with assaulting two women.

A detective constable told District Judge Des Perry that the victim of the stabbing was being treated in the high dependency unit at Altnagelvin Hospital for three stab wounds to the upper back, each of them two centimetres in depth. His condition was stable.

He said all the parties involved in the alleged incidents had been out socialising together on Saturday night.

A friend decided to drive them home but due to the capacity of his car, the defendant and another man were left behind and collected later.

"That was the catalyst for what allegedly happened next," the officer said.

When the defendant eventually arrived home to Canterbury Park he became involved in an argument with members of the group and with neighbours.

A woman who tried to restrain him and who tried to protect one of his victims by sitting on him, was allegedly assaulted by the defendant.

Members of the group disarmed the defendant of a kitchen knife - but he then allegedly continued to punch a woman on the back and kick another man three times on the head.

The officer said the row spilled onto the street.

He said the defendant armed himself with another kitchen knife, threatened to "slit a man's throat from ear to ear" and headbutted another man before stabbing him three times.

The police witness said witnesses initially believed the defendant had punched his victim on the back and only realised he'd been stabbed when they saw blood seeping from his wounds.

No bail application was made and the defendant was remanded in custody until 14 August.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
January snow
Tue 13 January 2015
Wintry weather
Wed 28 January 2015
Ravenhill Road fish spill
Sun 25 January 2015