Published Friday, 06 August 2010
The convicted mass murderer was sent back to jail last year for attacking two sisters in Coleraine and had his early release licence suspended.
Knight was convicted of 12 terrorist murders during the Troubles, including those of eight people in the infamous Greysteel massacre.
He was a member of the Ulster Freedom Fighters gang that burst into the Rising Sun bar in the Co Londonderry village on Halloween in 1993 and opened fire.
The killings are always associated with the chilling "trick or treat" phrase shouted by one of the gunmen before they started shooting.
Knight was also convicted of the murders of four Catholic builders in the nearby town of Castlerock earlier that year.
Knight was released early on licence in 2000 under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement but was returned to prison after being found guilty of attacking sisters Rosemary Sutherland and Caroline McNicholl in May 2008.
However, he was recently released again following a decision by the Sentence Review Commission.
SDLP East Londonderry MLA John Dallat claims the victims were not informed of his release and said Knight has been treated with "kid gloves".
"The damage done to democracy by this decision is horrendous and it will take a great deal of convincing that Torrens Knight should be back in the community," Mr Dallat said.
"When the wider community gave their consent to the early release scheme they did it on the understanding that anyone who broke the terms would be back in jail to serve the remainder of their life sentences.
"Most have stuck to those terms but Knight hasn't and people wonder why he has got away with it."
A spokesman for the Commission said "it doesn't comment on individual cases."
© UTV News