Published Tuesday, 24 April 2012
A number of lampposts in the Dunmurry area have been damaged. (© UTV)
The warning follows the arrest of an 18-year-old man in Glenkeen, after police found a music system had been connected to electrical wiring on the street lighting.
To get to the wires, an inspection panel on the post had been taken off - something local Inspector Mark Robinson labelled "extremely dangerous".
"Leaving inspection panels removed with live electrical wiring exposed could have very serious consequences if a young child placed their hands inside.
"It may seem like a good laugh to use the street lighting to power sound systems out in the street in this way but those involved are literally taking their lives in their hands," he said.
Insp Robinson said the incident on 31 March was the latest in a series of similar calls to the area over recent years.
Local community centre chair Michael George said the damage to the lampposts causes "serious safety issues for all those using our centre".
"Not only does it pose the obvious threat to life, but also the access to the centre is left in complete darkness for our volunteers and young people using the centre at night," he added.
The teen has been reported to the PPS for prosecution.