Published Friday, 27 December 2013
PUP representative Winston Irvine tweeted a photograph of banners at the camp. (© Winston Irvine)
A number of banners were slashed by two men at around 8.50am on Friday.
The attackers, both described as wearing hooded tops and armed with knives, made off on foot in the direction of the Ardoyne Road.
Police said: "Enquiries are ongoing and police would ask anyone with any information to contact them in Grosvenor Road on 0845 600 8000."
The protest camp was set up earlier this year after the Parades Commission placed restrictions on bands passing the Ardoyne shop fronts in north Belfast on the Twelfth.
North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds has condemned what happened.
The DUP man said: "There were two women present in the Civil Rights Camp at the time of the knife attack and whilst they were not directly threatened it will have been a terrifying incident for them, particularly as there was no police presence at the time.
"It is a cause of huge concern that there was no police presence at Ardoyne roundabout at the time of the knife attack. The DUP will be seeking a meeting with the PSNI District Commander in the wake of these attacks."
© UTV News