Published Wednesday, 07 May 2014
Mr Kenny said he had accepted the resignation "with regret" and thanked Mr Shatter for his services to government and to the country, adding that he had left a "positive legacy".
The Taoiseach outlined that the decision to quit had been taken after receiving the report by senior counsel Séan Guerin into whistle-blower allegations of Garda wrongdoing.
In the letter he received from Mr Shatter, the minister said: "I am anxious that any controversy that may arise on publication of the report does not distract from the important work of Government, or create any difficulties for Fine Gael or Labour parties in the period leading into the European and local government elections.
"It is my judgement that the only way in which such controversy can be avoided is by my offering you my resignation from the Cabinet."
Back in March, Mr Shatter apologised to former Garda John Wilson and serving Sergeant Maurice McCabe for criticising them after they exposed the abuse of the penalty points system.
A day earlier, Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan resigned without withdrawing his remarks towards the whistle-blowers.
Mr Kenny said on Wednesday that the report would not be published until a number of legal issues were addressed.
But he added: "I can advise the House that the report is critical of the inadequacy of the actions taken by a number of agencies - notably An Garda, but also including the Department of Justice and Equality and the Justice Minster - in responding to the allegations made by Sergeant McCabe
The report will be published on Friday morning, while the government will consider its response next week and it will be debated in the House.
Mr Shatter's replacement is now expected to be announced on Thursday morning.
© UTV News