Haveron's lover denies her murder

Published Monday, 03 December 2012
Toggle font size

The young lover of a woman allegedly murdered by her retired police officer husband has denied committing the murder himself.

Haveron's lover denies her murder
Pauline Haveron was found dead in her Ballyclare home. (© Pacemaker)

Under cross examination at Belfast Crown Court for the second day, defence QC Gavan Duffy suggested to Andrew Jones that it had in fact been him who had strangled Pauline Haveron and not her estranged husband Joseph Haveron.

"I suggest to you Mr Jones that you went up to this house at about four in the morning and you had a row with Pauline Haveron and during the course of that row you strangled her," suggested the lawyer.

"You left the house leaving the patio door open and you went home and you stayed home and made no contact until 12.30pm the next day when you went back to the house and back through the patio door and that she was not taken out of the bath as you have described?" QC Gavan Duffy added.

Trial judge Mr Justice Treacy advised 30-year-old Mr Jones that he was not legally obliged to answer the question as he did not have to incriminate himself but despite the warning, he told the judge he was happy to answer.

"No I did not," Mr Jones declared, denying the further suggestion that during the supposed row there were raised voices and a car door slamming.

In the dock accused of murdering his wife is Mrs Haveron's estranged husband and retired RUC Sergeant 58-year-old Joseph Alfred Haveron, from Farm Lodge Grove, in Greenisland.

While she was found in the bath of her home at Huntingdale Green in Ballyclare, she had in fact been strangled the jury have heard.

Mr Jones, who was a friend of her son and who had been having an affair with Mrs Haveron, has described how he went to take her out for Sunday lunch on18 April 2010 but found her dead in the bath, frantically lifting her out before raising the alarm.

Earlier on Monday, he said he regretted not staying with her the night before the killing.

He claimed that as he left Mrs Haveron's house on Saturday 17 April 2010, she had asked him to stay the night but that he'd said no because he wanted to wash his car the next day.

"It's something I have lived to regret," said business intelligence analyst Mr Jones as within 12 hours of their parting, he had found his lover dead in the bath of her Huntingdale Green home in Ballyclare.

He refuted repeated suggestions that Mrs Haveron wanted to finish their relationship, telling that lawyer that although they had "tiffs" there were no seriously major rows between them.

Mr Duffy put to him that according to text message traffic between them, it appeared that Mr Jones was concerned about her getting back with her husband to play "happy families" but again he denied that, claiming instead that he was worried Mr Haveron would "hurt her again".

Claiming that he could "manipulate" his wife, Mr Jones said he was concerned that "he could play her and have her confused all over the place."

He then added that Mrs Haveron had insecurities because her husband had had an affair with a work colleague in the late 1980's.

The lawyer asked him if he was aware that in September 2009 Mr Haveron had paid over a "substantial amount of money," in the region of £200,000 to his estranged wife.

But Mr Jones claimed he did not know as the matter "wasn't discussed with Pauline".

He did, however, concede that three weeks before her death Mrs Haveron had texted him saying she knew she was in line for more money and wanted his help to save it somewhere "in case something happens to me".

Mr Jones said he suggested she speak to her "businessman" brother as he would have been better helping her out, later telling the lawyer "no" when asked if he was struggling financially himself.

Mr Duffy suggested to him that other witnesses had given statements that the bathroom floor was not wet and that they had no recollection of Mr Jones' clothes being wet, asking if he had any explanation for that.

Mr Jones, however, claimed he could remember the bath water being up to his elbows when he dragged his lover out and although he initially said he could not remember if his clothes were wet, he later claimed he remembered rolling his shirt sleeves up because they were wet.

He further claimed that when he got Mrs Haveron out of the bath the floor was "soaking wet" as was her body but the lawyer suggested when the police arrived "there was no water on her body".

Asked if he could explain that Mr Jones said he could not.

The trial continues. At hearing.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
January snow
Tue 13 January 2015
Wintry weather
Wed 28 January 2015
Ravenhill Road fish spill
Sun 25 January 2015