Published Tuesday, 02 October 2012
Congestion in Belfast city centre led to long delays for commuters. (© UTV)
New bus lanes came into force last month on roads across the city, leaving traffic in Belfast at a standstill.
Angry commuters railed against comments from Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy that priority must be given to public transport.
During a meeting at Belfast City Hall on Tuesday, politicians and representatives from DRD met to discuss issues with the Belfast on the Move project.
It was decided that a special group would be set up to meet fortnightly over the next eight weeks in attempts to tackle problems with the scheme.
Belfast's Lord Mayor Gavin Robinson said: "By bringing together all of these key players we will aim to address the issues many of our residents and those who work in the city have brought to us.
"Our aim is to encourage all agencies to work together effectively so that greater access to our city and increased footfall can be achieved.
"We will meet every fortnight, or more often if deemed necessary, to ensure a full flow of communications and to ensure that current frustrations are conveyed to the relevant stakeholders".
The man behind Belfast on the Move, Ciaran De Burca, Director of Transport Projects at the DRD, said the Department was committed to sharing information and working with all stakeholders to find solutions.