Flag protestor jailed for rioting

Published Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Toggle font size

A young east Belfast man who was caught on police CCTV rioting for over an hour, after taking part in a peaceful flag protest, has been jailed for 15 months.

Flag protestor jailed for rioting
Police used a water cannon during the disorder. (© Presseye)

Belfast Deputy Recorder, Judge Corinne Philpott QC told 20-year-old Scott Moore, that instead of going to his Templemore Avenue home after taking part in the demonstration, he joined a large number of rioters and was "constantly seen in front of police lines throwing eight missiles".

The Belfast Crown Court judge said the most serious part of his offending was encouraging others to help him push a commercial bin onto the Albertbridge Road, with the only possible aim of wanting to cause damage to one of the main roads into the city centre.

However, Judge Philpott said the identification evidence against him was weak, and he could have fought the case, and although late in the day he pleaded guilty, showing some form of contrition and she was prepared to give him substantial credit for that guilty plea.

The judge added, but for the incident involving the wheelie bin, he could have received even greater credit.

Defence solicitor-advocate John Burke, claimed Moore got caught up in a moment of madness, "but nevertheless it was absolutely appalling behaviour that had no excuse or explanation".

Moore, he said, was with some friends for the flag protest, but for "whatever reason he got himself involved in rioting".

Mr Burke said Moore was a young man with a completely clear record, for whom there was no greater lesson than an appearance in court in the knowledge he faced a lengthy custodial sentence.

Mr Burke added that in Moore's case, his involvement could be regarded as "certainly a one-off".

Moore, who came to court prepared for going to prison, as evidenced by his large holdall bag, pleaded guilty to rioting on 5 January last year.

As part of his sentence, once he has completed the full term of 15 months in prison, he will then be under supervised parole for a further 21 months.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
Dave L in Belfast wrote (86 days ago):
Can someone explain to me how this was a "peaceful" protest if someone was rioting? At what point does the peaceful part end? UTV please clarify or stop being completely bias towards these idiots!
curios in belfast wrote (87 days ago):
dear moderator how can a post from republicans pass within seconds yet anyone speaking against them dosnt pass ?
Michael in Shankill Road UK wrote (87 days ago):
Nothing like coming down hard on the PUL community. Shame its one rule for one and one for the other.
loyalist at heart in woodvale wrote (87 days ago):
i under stand were yours are coming from but what about the people that bombing and shooting belfast do they not deseave the time as well only crime was loyality
chris in ballysillan wrote (87 days ago):
Yet 17 nationalists walk free because there was no evidence, maybe if the cameras actually pointed both ways!
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
Mon 31 March 2014
Carrick disturbances
Fri 11 April 2014
Fatal shooting in west Belfast
Sat 19 April 2014