'Final chance' for bailed bus lane woman

Published Wednesday, 16 April 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

The woman who was captured being left at the roadside by police in Londonderry last month has been re-released on bail after she admitted breaching court imposed bail conditions.

'Final chance' for bailed bus lane woman
The Police Ombudsman is investigating the incident which was filmed last month. (© Facebook)

Bridget Mongan, 23, from Stanley's Walk in the Bogside area of the city, was released on court bail when she appeared in court in January charged, along with another woman, with assaulting her critically ill brother in Altnagelvin Hospital's accident and emergency department.

As part of court imposed bail conditions in relation to five charges she faces in connection with the hospital incident on 4 January, Mongan is not allowed to be drunk in a public place, nor is she allowed to enter any hospital in Northern Ireland.

On St Patrick's Day of this year, two police officers were recorded by a local resident lifting Mongan, off the road and placing her into a nearby bus lane, seconds before a bus arrived.

The two officers were later taken off front line duties pending the outcome of a Police Ombudsman investigation into their actions.

At Derry Magistrates' Court on Wednesday a police officer told District Judge Barney McElholm that she arrested Mongan in John Street on Tuesday night for being drunk.

The officer said it was Mongan's second alcohol-related breach of court bail conditions in connection with the hospital incident.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Seamus Quigley said Mongan had spent six weeks in custody following the hospital incident.

He said her brother, the victim of the alleged hospital assault, has indicated to the police that he would not be making a statement of complaint in relation to the incident.

Mr Quigley said Mongan's current court bail conditions allowed her to drink at home but she was not allowed to be drunk in a public place.

He accepted that in this case she was "well in excess" of the drink driving limit.

"She deeply regrets what happened last night. She is aged 23 and like most of her family she is addicted to alcohol," he said.

"She did not further offend last night and I would submit that she is worth a third chance. She was found in an intoxicated state last night in John Street which is her venue of choice."

The District Judge said he would give Mongan "one final chance. But the next time she breaches with or without offending she will be remanded in custody. This is one absolutely final opportunity."

Mongan, who has 13 previous criminal convictions, was re-released on bail and will appear in court again on 24 April.

As part of her new bail conditions she must observe an 8pm to 8am curfew.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
2 Comments
lucylou in belfast wrote (97 days ago):
OBSERVER in ONLINE----Exactly what I thought when I read this article. Then I realised; they weren't do-gooders; they were hopping onto the police bashing bandwagon.
Observer in Online wrote (98 days ago):
What a pillar of the community she is, NOT! Where are all the outraged do gooders comments? The same people that were quick to criticise the police over the bus lane video?
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Queen’s NI visit
Tue 24 June 2014
Twelfth of July
Sat 12 July 2014
The Open Championship
Sun 20 July 2014