Published Sunday, 15 September 2013
Huge numbers of people are thought to be involved in the police inquiry. (© UTV)
On Friday, UTV exclusively revealed that a police inquiry had been launched into the scandal which involves at least 22 young adults and children.
It is believed that more than one gang of men could be involved in the exploitation ring and around 150 people are suspected of wrong-doing.
The group of men are believed to have targeted young vulnerable people, some of whom are in care in the region - but that incidents took place outside these institutions.
Police uncovered the alleged abuse as they began to look back at cases of children going missing from care over the last 18 months.
In an unusual move, on Monday, the justice and health ministers and their respective committees are due to be briefed by police on the extent and reach of their investigation.
The chairman of Stormont's Justice Committee, Paul Givan told UTV the public needs to brace itself for the number of people involved.
He said: "I believe the number is significant and the public need to be prepared because I think it will be shocking."
© UTV News