Published Saturday, 21 December 2013
Police want anyone who noticed anything suspicious to contact them. (© Pacemaker)
It got underway on Saturday just before 1pm after police received a telephone bomb warning.
Shipquay Street and Shipquay Place were sealed off as officers carried out a search of the area.
However, just before 2pm, officers confirmed that nothing had been found.
A number of business premises, which were evacuated during the alert, have re-opened.
All road closures have been lifted.
Members of the public who spot anything suspicious are being urged to contact the PSNI.
SDLP MLA Pat Ramsey said that the alert caused major disruption to Derry city centre.
"This is a devastating development for traders in the area on the last Saturday before Christmas at a time when the street was predictably busy with local families and visitors to the city.
"It has also caused significant distress for those shoppers who would rightly have been anxious at being evacuated," he added.
"Those behind this bomb scare are reckless and irresponsible and have no regard for our City or its people.
"They must be stopped. Anyone with any information should contact the PSNI as a matter of urgency. The people of Derry deserve a happy and peaceful Christmas. Those who would deprive them of that must not be allowed to prevail."
Sinn Féin Foyle MLA Raymond McCartney added that "this is the last thing anyone wants to see happening in our city."
"Businesses in the city centre are finding it difficult enough to make a living and provide employment for local people without this disruption on one of the busiest shopping days before Christmas," he said.
"Those behind these incidents need to get off the backs of the community .They are visionless and opponents of change who will not stop the people of Derry and beyond from moving forward to a more equal and peaceful society."
© UTV News