East Belfast couple 70 years married

Published Monday, 17 December 2012
Comments
Toggle font size

An east Belfast husband and wife are celebrating 70 years of marriage.

East Belfast couple 70 years married
Davey and Sally Hanna on their wedding day 70 years ago. (© UTV)

Davey and Sally Hanna, who are parents to four grown up daughters, told UTV that despite many ups and downs along the years they never once thought of leaving each other.

A bit of a joker, Davey provided many a laugh in their decades of matrimony while his wife admitted to being a bit shy and backward when they first met.

Sally celebrates her 88th birthday on Monday -the same day as their very special anniversary.

The couple laughed as they recalled she was "only a girl" on their wedding day in 1942 at Donegall Road Methodist Church.

Her husband said: "I remember seeing Sally for the first time. She was in the choir, a ladies choir, and she was standing among a lot of girls - about 15 or 20."

Davey was in the church congregation when he picked her out as the prettiest of them all - then wondered how he could get in touch with her.

When they both happened to attend another church meeting, he offered to leave Sally home.

"And that was the beginning," he said.

We've had a wonderful time.

Sally Hanna

"My belief is, and always has been, that in our case, it wasn't just a notion I took to marry Sally. I really had my mind made up and as the years went on, I grew to love her more," Davey told UTV.

"There was no time in my life I would have ever considered a divorce."

The couple are committed Christians and believe their devotion to God has been the key to their happy marriage.

Davey said: "There's never been any bereavements, any serious illness in our family and of course, we give God all the glory for that, too."

He continued saying that they had no bad habits and spent their time looking after themselves.

"[I was] never a drinker, a one time heavy smoker, never a gambler. I thank God every day for what He has done for us.

"Memories...I've so many memories, it's so hard to put my mind on one."

The devoted husband has even penned a love song dedicated to his wife, which he plays on the piano.

Entitled Sally, its namesake says: "It's terrific."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
5 Comments
David McC in Enniskillen wrote (730 days ago):
Congratulations to both David and Sally for an amazing anniversary milestone. David Hanna used to teach piano and organ playing in the 70's and I was one of those very pupils that he visited in Suffolk, every other Thursday evening. Great to see him still going strong and wish both of them many more years together.
goodnews in belfast wrote (731 days ago):
Such a great couple anda good news story - can sense the love even just from that short clip. Congratulations
Stephen Hamilton in U.S.A. wrote (732 days ago):
We know Davy and Sally and some of the family members very well. He is a character, and a good organist/pianist. I had the privilege of attending the 40th celebration for their daughter Anne and husband John earlier this year. Davy was cracking jokes and had a specially written poem for the occasion too! He and his family all sang for us as well. What a great milestone to reach. You have truly been blessed by God. Many congratulations! - Stephen & June
AARON RUDDY in LISBURN wrote (732 days ago):
Such a lovely story touched my heart .. my wife Sandra and i are married 5 year's . but knew each other over 40 year's ago meet by chance in april 08 and married aug 08 .. was not gonna wait another 40 year's ... we are also regular church goer's and still so so happy would not change a thing . a real happy Christmas from us both Aaron and Sandra God Bless.... X
Brian in Belfast wrote (732 days ago):
Happy Anniversary Davey and Sally, It’s very clear you both have had a lovely life together and it’s touching you still have plenty of humour. Enjoy yourselves and Merry Christmas