Published Thursday, 08 August 2013
Marques will be held in custody for another week. (© UTV)
Eric Eoin Marques, aged 28 and who has both Irish and US citizenship, has been remanded in custody for another week in Dublin after appearing before the High Court.
US authorities are seeking to extradite him on four charges in connection with images online which are described as "extremely violent" and showing graphic abuse of young children.
An FBI special agent last week told the court the suspect, who has an address on Mountjoy Square in Dublin's north inner city, is accused of being "the largest facilitator" of the images "on the planet".
If convicted, he faces sentences of up to 30 years in prison.
Dressed in black jeans and an Adidas T-shirt, Marques stood at the back of the packed court flanked by prison officers during the short hearing, with members of his family nearby.
Marques was arrested last Thursday in the city on a provisional warrant and refused bail last Friday morning amid fears he was a flight risk and would interfere with evidence.
Ronan Kennedy BL, for the Attorney General, asked the judge to remand the suspect for another week in anticipation of a formal request for extradition from the US which will be received and certified by Irish Justice Minister Alan Shatter by then.
He said the accused can be held for up to 18 days for a request.
"If at that juncture a formal request for extradition is not received and not certified by the minister, Mr Marques will be released," he added.
Mr Justice Paul McDermott warned Mr Kennedy "time was running out" before granting the application.
No objection was made by Marques's legal team.
© UTV News