Couple's lucky escape after gas scare

Published Sunday, 07 October 2012
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

A young couple have had a lucky escape after a carbon monoxide alarm alerted them to a high level of the deadly gas in their Waterfoot home.

Couple's lucky escape after gas scare
Carbon monoxide is a poisionous gas. (© Pacemaker)

The man and woman in their 20s rushed out of the property and contacted the Fire and Rescue Service after the warning went off at around 12.30pm on Sunday.

Emergency crews evacuated adjoining properties in the Co Antrim village as they went about investigating the cause of the incident.

They confirmed a significantly high level of the gas.

Bill Wilsdon, Assistant Group Commander for Coleraine, said it is lucky the couple had a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.

"The occupiers were initially made aware by a carbon monoxide alarm in the house which had gone off," he told UTV.

"That was significant to them because of that they were able to leave the building.

"We came out with gas monitoring equipment and were able to confirm there had been significantly high level inside the house that would need something done about it.

"We stayed there for a couple of hours to ensure the levels were beginning to drop away and there now at safe levels."

Mr Wilsdon said the gas leak is believed to have started from a glass fronted fire.

Residents have been returned to their homes.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
0 Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Twelfth of July
Sat 12 July 2014
The Open Championship
Sun 20 July 2014
July sunshine
Thu 24 July 2014