City restaurant fined over hygiene

City restaurant fined over hygiene

The owner of an Indian restaurant in Belfast has been fined a total of £1,000 for food safety offences which included decaying food particles being found on the eatery's floor.

The prosecution was taken by Belfast City Council following a routine inspection of the premises on 6 October 2011.

A build-up of grease on the walls and mould growth in the fridge were also discovered, a statement from the council said.

"Articles directly in contact with food were not kept clean. The officer noted damaged food containers in the fridge, which exposed the food to a risk of contamination, and part of the kitchen floor was incapable of being cleaned," the statement continued.

Other offences included foodstuffs not being protected from risk of contamination due to a lack of staff hand-washing and raw food being stored above ready to eat foods.

The restaurant's outside bins were overflowing with waste.

Sonali Belfast Ltd was also ordered to pay court costs of £66 in relation to six separate offences.

The council confirmed to the court that hygiene conditions at the premises have subsequently improved.

Babu Rahman, who has taken over in the kitchen, reiterated this following the court hearing.

The former owner, Mr Rahman said he was not the chef at the time the offences happened, but was now back working at the premises.

"I was chef from away back in 1994 as well. Obviously I should have stayed in the kitchen," he said.


Elsewhere on the Web

More Top Stories

UTV Digest

Your daily digest of the most popular UTV Stories

Back to Top