Published Thursday, 24 June 2010
They had previously received repeated assurances that the dilapidated building of Scoil na Fuiseoige in Twinbrook on the outskirts of the city would be replaced.
Principal Elish O'Neill says the school found out unofficially on Thursday from local councillors, ahead of an announcement at Stormont from Education Minister Catriona Ruane on Tuesday.
She told UTV: "Local councillors warned us that the news wouldn't be good, simply because of the financial situation.
"Our view was that due to the level of need of our project money would be reserved."
Classes have been taught in mobile buildings at the school for the past 13 years. The principal stressed that wear and tear on these facilities during that period has left them unsuitable for use.
"People only have to be here to see the school, but to be with us in school to experience the school is at another level altogether," she said.
"We're in 100% mobile buildings and to teach a class in this day and age in mobile buildings...
"We have been in them for the past 13 years at this stage and they're in a terrible state."
She also claims that parents have been forced to send their children to other schools - both Irish and English language - after the repeated disappointment of the delays for refurbishment.
"We can't cope with the level of interest," she says. "We're due next year to take 32 children into primary one, but we don't know where we'll put them.
"Our numbers have been steady over the past few years, our peak intake is at 147.
"Some parents have decided to go and send their children to other, beautiful-looking schools now instead.
"We want the DOE to recognise the need and get the school built."