Published Sunday, 23 February 2014
Dale Farm in Co Tyrone. (© UTV)
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said up to 1,000 litres of the corrosive chemical were spilt outside the factory on the Moneymore Road just before 4pm on Saturday.
The factory was evacuated and people living nearby were asked to stay in their homes, due to a toxic cloud forming around the spill.
It took around four hours for the situation to be dealt with. The factory is now back to normal.
NIFRS district commander of Cookstown Andy Sinclair said: "We had 25 firefighters at the scene of this serious incident.
"Eight firefighters, wearing specialist suits, were tasked to specifically deal with the large spill. We were lucky that the wind was blowing in the right direction for us, otherwise we may have had to evacuate surrounding homes, due to the toxic nature of the gases."
© UTV News