Call for urgent meeting over inquests

Published Friday, 16 November 2012
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

The Victims Commissioner has requested an urgent meeting with the Coroner John Leckey after a number of inquests into controversial deaths were suspended.

Call for urgent meeting over inquests
The Victims Commissioner made the call on Friday. (© UTV)

Kathryn Stone said she wants to discuss the implications of the suspensions on victims and their families.

She said: "Given the significant psychological trauma that many victims and survivors of the conflict have experienced already, public representatives need to exercise responsibility and display empathy to the plight of all individuals and families who have been and continue to be affected by the past conflict.

"Our research has indicated that statutory agencies need to work more closely together and actively co-ordinate their communications with victims and survivors, thereby demonstrating a clear understanding of the impact of their decisions on those left to live with the legacy of loss, hurt and suffering."

It was claimed on Friday that Northern Ireland's senior coroner acted unlawfully in deciding to suspend the inquests into controversial killings.

Papers lodged at the High Court in Belfast also state that cases adjourned by Mr Leckey over national security issues had already been considered by a senior legal adviser to the British Government.

Judicial review challenges to his decision will be heard on Monday.

New inquests were ordered by Northern Ireland Attorney General John Larkin QC in an attempt to discover more about the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

But 14 hearings have now been suspended after the coroner said Mr Larkin may have exceeded his powers.

The dispute centres on whether the Attorney General, appointed to the post of chief lawyer advising the Stormont Executive in 2010, has authority to initiate inquests dealing with matters of national security.

It is my role to advocate for victims and survivors, and whilst these agencies are in disagreement, it is the families of the victims that are left to suffer and there exists the potential for hurt and distress to be caused again to these families.

Commissioner for Victims and Survivors, Kathryn Stone

The coroner's decision, announced on Thursday, provoked outrage among relatives of those whose deaths were to be scrutinised.

They include the family of 11-year-old Francis Rowntree, who was hit by a rubber bullet fired by a soldier in west Belfast in 1972.

Another case involves Gerard Slane, a 27-year-old father of three shot dead by the Ulster Defence Association at his home in the city in 1988.His killing sparked claims of collusion between loyalist paramilitaries and the security forces.

Lawyers for both families are preparing legal challenges to the coroner's ruling.Proceedings have also been issued on behalf of relatives of Gerard Casey, who was murdered by the Ulster Freedom Fighters in Rasharkin, Co Antrim in 1989.

Court papers claim that Mr Leckey's decision should be quashed because it was reached in a procedurally unfair way and breaches human rights.

It is argued that the issues troubling the coroner do not apply to Mr Casey's case because the former Attorney General for Northern Ireland, Baroness Scotland, considered it prior to the devolution of justice powers.

Following devolution she became Advocate General and transferred the case to Mr Larkin.

Lawyers for the Slane family argue that she could have done this if she was sure the case raised no potential national security issues.

"The said decision was unfair, unreasonable and unlawful," the legal papers claim.

Similar points have been raised in the cases of Danny Doherty and William Fleming, shot dead by the SAS in Derry in 1984, and Franic Bradley, killed by the SAS near Castledawson, Co Derry in 1986.

Fearghal Shiels of Madden & Finucane Solicitors, who represent the next of kin in all three cases, said they were the first inquests directed by Mr Larkin after he assumed office in May 2010.

"However, each application was submitted almost three years before devolution and was therefore initially considered, in some detail, by the then Attorney General, Baroness Scotland QC," he said.

"Following devolution, the only circumstances in which that transfer could have been permitted was where Baroness Scotland had been satisfied that there was no information, disclosure of which may have been against the interests of national security."

Mr Shiels added that prior notice of the coroner's intention to suspend the inquests could have allowed lawyers to persuade him his concerns were ill-conceived.

The solicitor claimed: "He has, in our view, acted unlawfully and we will seek to quash his decisions."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
0 Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Mon 08 December 2014
One Direction fever
Fri 05 December 2014
U2 music video filmed in Belfast
Wed 17 December 2014