Published Saturday, 17 November 2012
Police at the scene of the incident in Ballymena on Friday. (© Pacemaker)
The child was rushed to Antrim Area Hospital on Friday after being found by a woman passing by at around 2.30pm in the Larne Road area.
She required medical treatment for burns after trying to put the flames out with her hands.
It is understood the little boy may have been in a nearby house where a candle caused his clothes to catch fire.
Neighbour Wesley Luke said the child was rolled on the ground in a nearby garden in an attempt to put the flames out.
"Then the emergency services arrived and we got cold water and that to keep the skin as cold as we could until we got the proper equipment," he added.
The child was later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital where he was described on Saturday afternoon as still in a critical condition.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact them.
© UTV News