Published Thursday, 31 January 2013
Kevin Lagan's firm plans to go into business with a former Quinn company. (© Pacemaker)
Mr Lagan is the chief executive of Lagan Group, one of the largest construction firms in Northern Ireland.
He said he believes the threat is an attempt to intimidate him over negotiations between his company and a business formerly owned by Sean Quinn.
The bullet was sent to Mr Lagan's Belfast office and accompanied by a message which read: "Quinn... is this what you want."
"The proposed JV (joint venture) is a positive move for everyone and will create a sustainable, independent cement manufacturer that can continue to support its customers and employees on a competitive basis," he said.
"The people behind this crude, intimidatory tactic clearly aren't interested in protecting jobs, but we will not be swayed from our determination to complete our discussions successfully."
Last month Lagan Group and Quinn Building Products - previously headed up by bankrupt billionaire Sean Quinn - signed an agreement which could see the building and cement product businesses come together in a joint venture.
The First and deputy First Minister spoke out on Thursday against the threat to the Lagan Group.
'We condemn the actions of those who posted a bullet to the Lagan Group. These actions do not help anyone and do not help local economic growth.
"The perpetrators of this act should be brought to justice. We encourage anyone with information to give it to the police," said Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness.
A PSNI spokesman said: "We can confirm that we have received an allegation of a threat against a businessman and an investigation is underway."