Published Saturday, 08 March 2014
The teenager was remanded into custody on Saturday. (© UTV)
The teenager, who cannot be identified because of his age, was in Belfast Magistrates' Court accused of committing two burglaries this week, allegedly breaking into a house on My Lady's Road in the east of the city last Tuesday and stealing jewellery, 1100 dollars in cash and a lady's purse.
He was further charged with breaking into another property on Gibson Street in west Belfast on Thursday where he allegedly stole £300 in cash.
A police officer told the court he believed he could connect the defendant to the charges.
His solicitor said he was applying for bail given the defendant's age but District Judge Bernadette Kelly said given the allegation the new offences were committed whilst on bail for other offences, "I would not be viewing a bail application favourably".
With the boy standing beside prison officer and a uniformed officer at the back of the court, just a few feet from his mother, the judge said: "He has got to the stage where despite his age and despite the presumption of bail, I would not be viewing a bail application favourably."
As he was lead away to custody his mother, standing in the public gallery beside the dock, asked prison officers if she could give her son "a kiss and a hug", briefly embracing him as he was taken away.
The Belfast schoolboy faces five other cases for various offences including assaulting police, possessing drugs, burglary and causing criminal damage.
Earlier this week the police appealed for information about the burglary at My Lady's Road, reporting that at approximately 12.20pm on Tuesday 4 March, a house in the area had been entered by an unknown male.
The male, who pretended to be a workman, left the property after speaking to the occupant's daughter but after he had gone, it was discovered that a sum of cash, cameras and a number of items of jewellery and a silver boy's bicycle were missing.
© UTV News