Ballymurphy soldiers 'not identified'

Published Friday, 27 June 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

The Army has said it has not identified all the paratroopers involved in the Ballymurphy Massacre which killed 10 people in 1971.

Ballymurphy soldiers 'not identified'
The families of those killed have called for an inquiry into the massacre. (© Pacemaker)

During a preliminary hearing ahead of new inquests, the Ministry of Defence also revealed that it would be impossible to trace the weapons used in three days of shooting in the incident in west Belfast as the weapons used were not properly recorded after the incident.

Lawyers representing relatives had asked the MoD to cross reference the personnel files of the soldiers to establish if they had been involved in other lethal force incidents in the region around the same period.

Family members believe paratroopers on the ground in Ballymurphy may have also been in Londonderry on Bloody Sunday six months later, when 14 civilians were fatally wounded during a civil rights protest.

In providing a response to the cross referencing request, a barrister representing the MoD and police said there was no objection in principle to conducting the exercise but revealed not all the soldiers involved in Ballymurphy had been identified.

Dr Tony McGleenan QC told coroner Jim Kitson: "I believe not all have been, but a number have."

Mr Kitson instructed that the cross referencing should begin on the personnel files of the soldiers the MoD was aware of.

"If there are additional witnesses that need to have that exercise done to their personnel files then they can be added to our list of persons," he explained.

Later Dr McGleenan told the court, which was full with members of the Ballymurphy families, that the MoD would not be able to trace the weapons used.

He said: "The serial numbers of the weapons discharged were not recorded at that time."

"It will be possible to obtain weapons of a similar type but not the actual weapons."

Sean Devine, representing some of the bereaved relatives, expressed concern.

"It is a matter of disappointment," he said.

"Especially as in other historic inquests weapons were capable of being traced."

The new inquest was ordered by the Attorney General John Larkin in 2011.

That move came after a cold case review of the deaths by the Historical Enquiries Team.

The Government has rejected calls from the families for a probe into the killings, saying it was not in the public interest.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
5 Comments
Sam in Ulster wrote (125 days ago):
Whats the point
paul in larne wrote (126 days ago):
good because they victims also, victims of the ira's murder squads
Mike in Belfast wrote (126 days ago):
if only the ballymurphy residents where as vocal coming out to speak about the countless acts of terrorism planned and carried out by members of that community..ya wud think they estate had never seen any trouble apart from this one incident.
Nonbigot in Lurgan wrote (126 days ago):
Of course these people need justice but so do the people who lost loved ones at Teeban, Enniskillen etc, it just can 't be a one sided justice system, I would have more sympathy for these people if they spoke up for justice for the crimes i mentioned or others etc.
Mark in Belfast wrote (126 days ago):
British army cover up of murder of innocent people. If you are looking for a reason here it is.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Lynda Bellingham: 1948-2014
Mon 20 October 2014
The X Factor: Judges
Fri 03 October 2014
NI v Greece
Tue 14 October 2014