Published Friday, 03 August 2012
Margaret McGuckin (centre-left) pictured with other members of SAVIA. (© Pacemaker)
Margaret McGuckin, spokesperson for Survivors and Victims of Institutional Abuse (Savia) said survivors have not been given a reason for delays in proceeding with the inquiry.
During the meeting, she will press senior officials to commit on a start date.
At the end of May, the First and deputy First Ministers announced an inquiry into institutional child abuse in Northern Ireland would go ahead.
Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said the inquiry would include a confidential "acknowledgement forum" in which victims and survivors can recount their childhood experiences in institutions.
Panel members have been assigned to oversee the forum and former judge Sir Anthony Harte has been selected to front the inquiry.
The forum will be precursor to the inquiry, the panel will listen to testimonies of victims and their work will result in a report of their experiences.
The inquiry is now not expected to start until summer 2013, with the acknowledgment forum beginning in October this year.
"What we want now is a date, when the inquiry and when the acknowledgement forum is going to start," Ms McGuckin told UTV.
"We did believe it was going to start in July, we were told that.
"We did believe at the time and we took them at face value that they were willing to get this up and running as soon as possible and that we'd have been going through the acknowledgment forum now at this stage, getting ready for the inquiry."
She said that preparations had been put in place and while some legislation is still to be finalised, she said these were "technicalities".
"They could be dealing with the forum right now, what's stopping us going ahead with the forum?"
She stressed that survivors needed the truth to be told and time was increasingly limited to record their experiences.
"Our people always wanted to be believed and their stories to be told," she said.