12 'drug dealers' ordered out of Belfast

12 'drug dealers' ordered out of Belfast

Alleged drug dealers have been given two weeks to leave Belfast by republicans or face the deadly consequences, according to victims campaigner Raymond McCord.

Mr McCord was first approached by the vigilantes six months ago, who issued death threats to 20 people for reportedly selling hard drugs.The campaigner, who has been vocal against paramilitaries since his son was murdered by the UVF in 1997, said he was contacted again on Saturday night and met with the group on Sunday morning."They warned people that 12 individuals had to leave their areas or else they would be killed," he explained.He said they were given two weeks to leave the greater north Belfast area or make representation to them.Mr McCord said he would be informing the police and informing those he knows who have been threatened.He added that he was willing to represent those involved to try and resolve the matter."There are 12 names that were previously given to me, and they told me they were safe - now they are saying things have changed and they have to leave."The concerns are that if these people stay in Belfast, and if they are involved in drugs, they will be killed."We've seen in the past what has happened in republican areas, that certain groups have no problem whatsoever with executing people."A police spokesperson said that the PSNI does not comment on the security of individuals, however they will inform anyone who is threatened.


Elsewhere on the Web

More Top Stories

UTV Digest

Your daily digest of the most popular UTV Stories

Back to Top