This Morning's macaroni & cheese
Published Monday, 31 March 2014
Forget fancy cheese - Phil Vickery is back in the This Morning kitchen to prove that the best dairy to please in hearty American import mac and cheese is still Cheddar in his eyes.
This Morning's macaroni & cheese. (© ITV)
20 minutes in total
- 200g dried macaroni
- 1 medium onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g butter, softened
- 30g plain flour
- 275mls milk
- 175g grated strong Cheddar
- pinch or two of nutmeg
- 1 level tbsp English mustard
- ½ 10g vegetable stock cube
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- freshly milled pepper
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and made into crumbs
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling water, until just cooked, then drain well, add a tbsp oil to stop the pasta sticking together.
- Warm the olive oil and add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the milk, stock cube then bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile mix the butter and flour together, to form a paste.
- Once the milk is boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer, then whisk in the butter and flour mixture, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in 125g of the cheese and the cooked macaroni.
- Add a pinch or two of nutmeg, mustard, pepper, salt and the chopped basil.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the 50g grated Cheddar and the breadcrumbs then brown under a hot grill or in the oven for about 10 minutes.
© UTV News