This Morning's lemon meringue cupcakes
Published Thursday, 28 February 2013
Phil Vickery gives us a baking masterclass, teaching us how to make his tasty lemon meringue cupcakes.
Phil Vickery bakes lovely lemon meringue cupcakes (© ITV)
For the cupcakes:
- 125g salted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 room temp medium eggs, beaten well together
- 225g self raising flour, sieved
- 3 tbsp milk
- 6-7 tbsp lemon curd
For the meringue:
- 3 medium egg whites (120g do weigh though)
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 240g caster sugar, assuming the whites are 120g (always double the weight of the whites)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- A few lemon jelly segments
- Preheat the oven to 190°C gas 5.
- Beat the soft butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla together really well.
- Add 2 tbsp of flour to the mixture and mix in well. Add the eggs a little at a time. Add the flour, then finally the milk.
- Spoon half of the mixture into 12 paper lined patty tins. Add a teaspoon of lemon curd, then top with the other half of the cake mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until well risen and browned. Remove and cool.
- Turn the heat up to 220 C gas 7.
- Whisk the whites and cream of tartar until foamy then add half the sugar and continue whisking until glossy and thick, do not overbeat.
Add the rest of the sugar and whisk for a few seconds.
- Pipe a ring of meringue around the outside of the cup cake.
- Place a teaspoon of lemon curd into the centre, then top with a second rosette of meringue.
Add a few jelly segments to the meringue and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Place on a baking tray and place into the hot oven to brown for a couple of minutes.
Remove, dust with icing sugar and serve cool.
© UTV News