This Morning's honey fruit cake
Published Wednesday, 07 May 2014
It's National Honey Week and things get sticky in the This Morning kitchen as Phil Vickery cooks up a simple (boiled) honey fruit cake.
- 500g mixed dried fruit, sultanas, currants, raisins, cherries
- 250g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 250mls cold water
- 200g castor sugar
- 80g runny honey
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 280g S.R. flour, sieved
- ½ tsp bicarb
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C gas 4.
- Pop the fruit, water, butter, honey and sugar into a saucepan and JUSTbring to the boil, stir well, cover with film and leave to cool.
- When cool, stir in the eggs then the flour and finally the bicarb and mixed spice and stir well but do not overwork.
- Pop into a lined 28cm square baking tray bake, then bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- Cool then turn out and leave to cool completely before trying to cut.
- Serve with clotted cream and a drizzle of runny honey. Or a chunk of honeycombe (not Crunchie, the natural honey in the comb).
© UTV News