This Morning's Roast Chicken
Published Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Tom Parker Bowles brings his simplest family favourite recipe to the This Morning kitchen - his mother, Camilla Parker Bowles' organic roast chicken.
This Morning's Roast Chicken. (© ITV)
- 1 large free-range chicken
- 1½ unwaxed lemons
- olive oil, for rubbing
For the gravy:
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Pierce the whole lemon several times with the tip of a sharp knife or a skewer, then place in the chicken cavity. Rub some oil into the skin, season inside and out with salt and freshly ground black pepper (be generous), then squeeze the juice of ½ lemon over the bird.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cook for another 50 minutes to 1 hourl, or until juices run clear when the leg is pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for 10-15 minutes while you make gravy.
- Spoon off the fat from the pan, then place the pan over a medium-high heat. Pour in the wine and deglaze, stirring vigorously. Bubble until reduced, then add the stock. Bring to a boil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, carve the chicken and accompany with seasonal vegetables and gravy.
© UTV News