This Morning's Chip Masterclass
Published Monday, 17 February 2014
This week the UK is celebrating National Chip Week and Phil Vickery is in the This Morning kitchen to demonstrate how you can get that chip shop taste at home.
Phil Vickery shows Eamonn and Ruth how to make the perfect portion of chips. (© Ken McKay)
Whether you're a sucker for straight cut, or crazy for crinkly, with more than 1.6 million tonnes of chips made each year in the UK, it seems the nation just can't get enough of this delicious potato delight.
- 500g of potatoes King Edward, Maris Piper, Red Rooster, Wilja or Marfona potatoes.
- Groundnut oil, safflower or sunflower oil,
- Peel and wash the potatoes well, then cut into fingers say 1.5cm wide.
- Re-wash and dry well in kitchen paper or towel.
- Heat the oil to 190C leave for 10 minutes then reduce to 175C. Never fill a fryer more than two thirds full.
- Plunge small amounts of chips into the oil and cook for three to four minutes to soften, but with no colour.
- Shake off the excess oil and cool on a tray, not piled up.
- Repeat until all are done. You can chill at this point.
When ready to serve:
- Turn up the oil to 185-90C.
- Cook in small batches until crisp and golden, drain well and season well with salt and vinegar if you like.
© UTV News