Published Monday, 17 February 2014
We’re sorry. This video is unavailable from your location.
Are you in Northern Ireland?
1. Why is my postcode required?
We are asking you to insert your postcode before watching some videos to confirm
you can access the video content via u.tv.
This is because some videos on u.tv
are only available in Northern Ireland.
Don't worry, we won't store or use this information for any other purpose.
If you are not in Northern Ireland, the content may be available to watch at itv.com or stv.tv.
2. Why am I directed to itv.com
or stv.tv when I try to view certain
The videos, which are not available on u.tv
to users outside Northern Ireland, will be available to those users on itv.com (for users in England and Wales) or stv.tv (for most users in Scotland).
We need to know where you are in order to make sure you are getting the right content.
If you think we've got your location wrong, then please
Need more help? Contact us
Whether you're a sucker for straight cut, or crazy for crinkly, with more than 1.6 million tonnes of chips made each year in the UK, it seems the nation just can't get enough of this delicious potato delight.
- 500g of potatoes King Edward, Maris Piper, Red Rooster, Wilja or Marfona potatoes.
- Groundnut oil, safflower or sunflower oil,
- Peel and wash the potatoes well, then cut into fingers say 1.5cm wide.
- Re-wash and dry well in kitchen paper or towel.
- Heat the oil to 190C leave for 10 minutes then reduce to 175C. Never fill a fryer more than two thirds full.
- Plunge small amounts of chips into the oil and cook for three to four minutes to soften, but with no colour.
- Shake off the excess oil and cool on a tray, not piled up.
- Repeat until all are done. You can chill at this point.
When ready to serve:
- Turn up the oil to 185-90C.
- Cook in small batches until crisp and golden, drain well and season well with salt and vinegar if you like.
© UTV News