This Morning’s Bramley apple meringue pie
Published Monday, 18 February 2013
Viewers voted for it in last week's Like Bites and now it's here: Phil Vickery's Bramley apple meringue pie.
Phil Vickery's Bramley apple meringue pie (© ITV)
- 1 x 24cm x 3cm deep baked blind pastry base
- 6 medium Bramley apples (2kg) peeled and cored
- 150g light brown sugar
- Juice and zest of 2 large lemons
- 4 medium eggs, separated
- Castor sugar (double the weight of the egg whites)
- 250mls double cream
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of cream tartar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas 4.
- Chop all the apples into small pieces and place into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest, bring to the boil and cook slowly until you have a chunky puree (but not too smooth - it needs to be about half cooked).
- Brush the cooked flan base with beaten egg and pop into the oven to crispen up the shell.
- Once the apple is cooked and cooled for 10 minutes, beat in the egg yolks.
- Spoon into the warm pastry base.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until just set, making sure it does not soufflé.
- Once cooked, cool completely.
- Place the egg whites into a mixing bowl (not a electric hand whisk) add the cream of tartar and whisk until foamy and thick. Add half the caster sugar and whisk until thick and glossy.
- Remove the bowl from the machine and fold in the rest of the sugar.
- Pile onto the cooked apple flan and turn the heat up on the oven to 200C /gas to 6.
- Sprinkle the meringue with granulated sugar and bake for 3-4 minutes until nicely browned.
- Serve with very lightly whipped double cream sweetened with a little a little vanilla and sugar.
© UTV News