Published Friday, 01 August 2014
The Killers frontman Brandon Flowers. (© Getty)
The track - which reached number three in the singles chart in 2008 - won the accolade for its line: "Are we human or are we dancer?"
Second in the poll was the surreal lyric for I Am The Walrus by The Beatles, from Magical Mystery Tour.
The chorus of "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob" was the line which left music fans wondering what it actually meant.
The top 10 also included Wham!'s Club Tropicana which says "Drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone, all that's missing is the sea" - despite later referring to watching "the waves break on the bay".
The explanation for the apparent inconsistency is that it is said to have been written about a spot in Ibiza set high in the hills.
Killers frontman Brandon Flowers has explained that his lyric was based on a quote from the author Hunter S Thompson, "we're raising a generation of dancers".
Flowers said: "I took it and ran. I guess it bothers people that it's not grammatically correct, but I think I'm allowed to do whatever I want."
Almost two-fifths of the 2,000 adults surveyed said say they do not usually understand the words they hear in pop songs, while almost a third said songs have become more confusing over the years.
Top 10 'weird lyrics'
- The Killers, Human - "Are we human, or are we dancer?"
- The Beatles, I Am The Walrus - "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob"
- Michael Jackson, Earth Song - "What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?"
- Lionel Richie, All Night Long - "Tom bo li de se de moi ya, hey jambo jambo"
- Carly Rae Jepson, Call Me Maybe - "Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad"
- Black Eyed Peas, Boom Boom Pow - "Beats so big I'm stepping on leprechauns"
- Duran Duran, The Reflex - "The reflex is an only child, he's waiting in the park"
- Wham!, Club Tropicana - "Club Tropicana, drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone, all that's missing is the sea"
- Taylor Swift, Love Story - "Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet."
- Oasis, Champagne Supernova - "Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball"
© UTV News