TM's chicken katsu curry for kids
Published Tuesday, 18 February 2014
Fresh from Comfort Cottage, Lisa Faulkner is in the This Morning kitchen to impart her culinary wisdom and create a child-friendly chicken katsu curry that'll help to feed the family this half-term.
This Morning's chicken katsu curry. (© ITV)
- 4 chicken breast fillets (about 200g each)
- 80/100g (approx.) breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Flour, seasoned
- Veg oil for frying
- Plain rice, to serve
- Wrap the chicken breast loosely in Clingfilm and flatten with a rolling pin or meat tenderiser. Dust with flour, dip in beaten egg then dip in breadcrumbs.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil and cook the chicken breasts for about 6-7 minutes each side.
For the sauce:
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 small apples, grated
- 1 tablespoons veg oil
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 200-300ml water
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cornflour into 1 tablespoon cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Roughly chop the onion and the garlic and soften and slightly brown. Add all the spices, the ketchup and apple.
- Add the stock and the water and soy and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cornflour in the tablespoon of water and cook for a further 2 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Blend with a hand blender or put in a liquidiser.
- Serve with the chicken and some rice.
© UTV News