TM's Nana's House Pie
Published Thursday, 20 February 2014
Actress and Loose Women presenter Sherrie Hewson is in the This Morning kitchen to cook up Nana's House Pie, a favourite with both adults and children.
Sherrie Hewson cooks up Nana's House Pie. (© Ken McKay)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 450g minced beef
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 450ml beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 900g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 25g butter
- About 4 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C/gas mark 3 ½
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish and fry the onions over a low heat for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, add the beef and cook until it just browns.
- Stir in the flour, stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree. Bring the mixture to the boil and season, then cover with a lid, transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain them and return them to the pan. Mash the potatoes with butter and a splash of milk but don't overdo it - sloppy mash is unforgivable.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, then increase the oven temperature to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7.
- Spoon the beef mixture into a medium pie dish and spread the mashed potato over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the potato starts to brown. (If you like, add a sprinkling of grated cheese just before you're due to take it out of the oven and return the dish to the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling)
- Serve immediately.
© UTV News