Phil Vickery's blueberry pancakes
Published Monday, 06 January 2014
According to Phil Vickery, we don't need to give up our favourite guilty pleasures, as apparently we can slim while we sin - and he cooks blueberry pancakes with caramelised banana and cheat's bacon to prove it.
This Morning's Phil Vickery. (© Ken McKay)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tbsp fruit sugar (fructose)
- 60g self raising flour, sieved
- 100mls skimmed milk, approx
- 100g fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp grape seed or safflower oil
- 200g net weight eye of fresh pork loin, trimmed of all skin and fat
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Place the egg and white in a deep bowl, add the sugar and flour, and half the milk.
- Mix well with a whisk, this way ensures a smooth, lump free batter.
- Add enough milk, until you have a thick batter. Finally add the blueberries and stir in.
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan.
- Spoon into 4 lightly oiled silver rings, cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Lift off the semi set pancake and flip over and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until cooked.
- Cut the pork into 6 thin slices, a sharp knife is very important here.
- Mix the salt and sugar together, then liberally spread over all the slices on both sides and leave for 10 minutes.
- When ready, rinse well in cold water and pat dry.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in non-stick frying pan and gently cook for a couple miutse each side.
- To serve, place two pancakes on a warm plate top with the bacon slices and sauté banana.
- Finally drizzle 2 tsp maple syrup over and serve.
© UTV News