Phil Vickery's Summer Salads
Published Friday, 27 June 2014
This Morning chef Phil Vickery is in the kitchen with four delectable dishes that will turn your typical leafy salad into a hearty green dream that you can whip up in minutes.
Phil Vickery's Summer Salads. (© ITV)
- 2 bags of salad leaves from the supermarket, be a little adventurous with the choice
- 4 Fresh large eggs
- 225g Fresh young asparagus, washed
- 8 Radishes, washed
- A couple of spring onions, sliced
- A few slices of ham, steer clear of the pre packed stuff
- 4 tbspns Olive oil, or good quality veg oil if you prefer, or even a mixture
- 2 tbspns Sherry or white wine vinegar, malt is fine if you want
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tspn Sugar
- Veg oil to cook the asparagus
- Very simple to put together, Bring a pan of cold water to the boil, add the eggs and cook for 3 minutes, remove and cool the eggs in cold water, this process stops the egg yolks discolouring. Then peel but leave whole.
- Next wash the salad leaves and drain well, too much water on the leaves wash off the dressing. Place in a bowl.
- Place the oils in an old jam jar, add the mustard, salt and pepper, sugar. Pop on the lid and shake vigoursley, until throughly mixed. Or you can whisk together in a bowl.
- Place a frying pan or griddle pan on the stove. Oil the asparagus, and place in the pan, season well and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly charred on all sides.
- Arrange the slices of ham around the plate, cut the eggs in half, the yolks should be slightly runny, arrange them cut side up.
- Next add the asparagus, and radishes. Finally place the spring onions in with the lettuces, and drizzle over the dressing, season well and carefully mix together with 2 forks.
- Pile on top of the ham and asparagus, and eat straight away.
Phil's Top Tip: Add the dressing at the last moment or the salad leaves will wilt very quickly, and make sure all the components for the salad are out of the fridge for ½ hour before hand, room temperature salad is far nicer and tastier to eat than ice cold.
Little Gem Salad with Plum Tomatoes & Red Onions
- 2 Little Gem lettuces
- 8 Plum tomatoes
- 1 small red onion peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white wine or malt vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 55g grated Mozzarella cheese
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Cut the lettuce heads into 3 or 4 wedges, then the same with the tomatoes.
- Mix the sliced red onion in a bowl with the mustard and vinegar, then add to the lettuce and tomatoes.
- Pour over the olive oil in a thin stream and mix well.
- Finally add the grated cheese, lightly mix and season well with salt and pepper.
Simple Summer Pesto Pasta Salad
- 350g cooked fusilli pasta
- 300g green beans, cooked and refreshed to keep great flavour and colour
- 300g canned cannellini beans, well drained
- 80g Parmesan shavings
For the dressing:
- 50g fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 25g toasted pine nuts
- 25g grated Parmesan
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- Place the ingredients for the salad into a large bowl and mix well, but carefully.
- Place all the ingredients into a small food processor and blitz to a fine paste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad components and mix well.
Simple Borlotti Bean Salad
- 1x 425g can Borlotti beans, drained
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- finely grated zest and juice 1 large lemon
- Mix all well together, then leave for 20minutes and re mix well.
© UTV News