Phil Vickery's Sautéed Duck Breast
Published Monday, 21 October 2013
Phil Vickery returns to the This Morning kitchen to spice things up with sautéed duck breast and cooked apples in a Calvados sauce.
Phil Vickery's Sautéed Duck Breast. (© Ken McKay)
- 4 medium duck breasts, scored through the fat not the flesh
- 2-3 pinches Chinese five spice
- 1 small can (350g) apricots in syrup
- 4-5 tbsp green peppercorns in brine
- juice of 1 large lemon
- pinch of sugar
- 4 Pak Choy, cut into ¼'rs lengthways
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- Heat a non stick pan with no oil.
- Sprinkle over the duck breast the five spice powder, rub in well and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place skin side down into the pan and cook until the fat runs, say 6-7 minutes.
- Turnover and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, remove cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes, do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, place the apricots and juice into a liquidiser, add 1 tbsp of peppercorn juice and peppercorns and blitz well.
- Pour into a small bowl and season to your taste with salt, pepper, sugar, lemon juice and five spice, add a few whole peppercorns.
- Sauté half the pak choy in hot oil in a wok or frying pan with a little five spice (two batches)
- Once wilted slightly add half the soy and mirin, stir well.
- Spoon into a bowl, then wipe out the pan or wok with kitchen towel and repeat.
- Slice the duck across the grain, into 6 or 7 slices, drain well.
- Spoon the pak choy into the middle of a plate or bowl, lay over the duck and drizzle with the sauce.
Apple in Calvados Sauce
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cox and Pink lady, cored and slice into 10 pieces
- 1-2 Tbsp cater sugar
- 50ml Calvados
- Place butter into a frying pan on a medium heat until it starts to foam
- Add the sliced apples and coat in the butter
- Sprinkle in the butter and allow to colour slightly
- Pour in the Calvados and mix to make a smooth sauce
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes and spoon into glasses
- Serve warm (with a scoop of ice cream) optional
© UTV News